Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Cafe Champignon

Commuting for school every day over the past few years led me to spend quite some time in New York City. The commuting allowed me to explore what places the great city has to offer that you do not hear about often. 

Two years ago on a slightly warm day in April after walking from 34th Street to Union Square I came across Cafe Champignon, a small French cafe located in Chelsea, just two blocks away from the 1 train. 

After finally deciding to try the food at the cafe. 

On a chilly morning at 10am with about three other customers inside the cafe sipping on coffee and munching on breakfast, while walking inside the waiter greets me and asks kindly how many people and if there was a preference in seating. Simply replying with one and saying no preference, he guides me to a set of red couches along the wall while placing the menu on the table and placing a fork and knife on the napkin prior to me sitting. 


The waiter was really attentive and came up to ask for my order fairly shortly after being seated but was happy to allow more time to make a decision. After carefully looking over the menu, I decided to order a cappuccino and an eggs benedict with salad, him offering a choice of home fries as an alternative.
In about 10 minutes I received my cappuccino and around 20-30 minutes I was given my plate of eggs benedict and salad. Starting with the salad, a mix of field greens with balsamic vinaigrette vinegar as the dressing, it was fairly tasteful with a bit of sweetness and sourness. With very little pressure and cutting into the eggs benedict, the yolk from the poached eggs pour out over the bacon and English muffin. It lets the overall taste stay moist. The English muffin halves are just right with a little crunchiness on the outside but the center is nice and soft.




You can find a version of the menu online here
 

 
200 7th Avenue
New York, NY 10011

No comments:

Post a Comment